Trait and biological approaches Essay Sample
· Definition: the theoretical view of personality that focuses on individual differences in personality and behavior, and the psychological processes behind them.
· Strengths: descriptive emphasis; assessment; intuitively appealing; involves a lot of research; provides a way to evaluate attributes
· Weaknesses: lack of explanation; measurement of traits is difficult; ignores situational factors; poor reliability due to one’s constant change in behavior
· Definition: the view of personality that focuses on the way behavior and personality are influenced by neuroanatomy, biochemistry, genetics or evolution.
· Strengths: explanatory emphasis; attempts to find causal mechanisms; scientific; practical applications are said to be extremely effective
· Weaknesses: reductionism; has not explained how mind and body interact