A lot of people, mainly women prefer having a long and slender neck because it makes them look more elegant. Pent up tension around the neck region can turn it stiff, making it look short and staunch. Releasing this tension will create a feeling of spaciousness and the illusion of length in your neck. Perform gentle neck stretches and exercises every day to keep your neck long and strong.
Here are some ways you can increase the length of your neck:
- Head Rotation: This exercise is as easy as it gets. You simply have to rotate your head from left to right to get your desired neck. Start by standing or sitting in a straight position, then turn your head to the right and hold it there for about 5 seconds. Now turn your head to the left and hold for 5 seconds. Repeat this for 3 minutes. Then start a set of stretching your head upwards, your chin facing up and hold for 5 seconds. Do the same with your chin facing downwards, holding for about 5 seconds. Repeat this for 3 minutes and make a routine out of it.
- Gulping Exercise: Gulping is something everyone does, but did you know that it helps you increase the length of your neck? Well let us show you how. Stand or sit up straight just like in the previous exercise. Bend your neck backward, reaching for your spine. Afterward, position your lower jaw in a protruding manner. Next, open your mouth slightly in a gulp and then close it again. When you do this over and over, you’ll feel the significant stretch on your neck muscles. Repeat for about 15 to 20 times in two separate sets each day.
- Isometric Neck Exercises: Perform isometric exercises that will build strength and release tension in the neck. Keep your head in a chin level position. Place your hands on your forehead and push forehead against your palms. Push back equally hard with your hands so that your neck stays in a stationary position. Hold for five seconds and repeat thrice. Interlace your fingers behind your head and push backwards against your palms. Hold for five seconds and repeat it thrice. Place your right hand against the right side of your head above your ear. Press against your right palm. Do the same on the left side.
- Shoulder Shrugs: Shoulder shrugs can help you relax your neck after a good neck workout. Start by looking straight ahead. Slowly raise both shoulders up. Hold for 5 seconds, then return to starting position. Do 10 repetitions rapidly to relax your muscles around the neck and shoulder.
- Cobra Posture: Most people think the cobra posture in yoga is only used to strengthen your lower back and hips, but it helps you lengthen and strengthen your neck too. You start with lying on your tummy, hands on either side on your hips and your palms facing the ground. Then look up and lift your chin and neck. Finally, tilt back your head slowly toward the spine and hold for 20 seconds. Do this exercise 5 to 10 times daily.
- E and O Stretch: This may sound a bit silly but mouthing the letters E and O can help you stretch your neck. Start by sitting or standing up straight. Position your head in the center and direct your eyes in front of you. Then slowly mouth the letter “E” but with your lower jaw pushing forward. Hold it first for 3 to 5 seconds but don’t return to the original neutral position. From the letter “E” position, move onto the letter “O” in the same forceful manner and hold it again. Then form the letter “E” again, followed by the letter “O”. Repeat for about 3 to 5 times daily.
If you practice these exercises on a daily basis, you will lengthen and trim your neck in no time. This will also help you relieve stress and remove all the tension and stiffness around your neck region. Overall you will start feeling like a completely new person and have a positive outlook over life. Looking stunning and elegant are plus point.